World of Darkness:
You can use 1st, 2nd, 3rd (“revised”), and 4th (“20th”) editions of Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Ascension, Wraith: The Oblivion, and Changeling: The Dreaming.
You can use 1st, 2nd (Dark Ages: Vampire/Werewolf/Mage/Fae), and 3rd (“20th”) editions of Vampire: The Dark Ages, Werewolf: The Dark Ages, Mage: The Dark Ages, Fae: The Dark Ages.
You can use Vampire: The Victorian Age (Victorian Age: Vampire), and its associated supplements.
You can use Werewolf: The Wild West, and its associated supplements.
You can use Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade, and its associated supplements.
You can use Wraith: The Great War
You can use Orpheus, and its associated supplements.
You can use Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom as part of the Vampire: The Masquerade line of products.
You can use Kindred of the East and its associated supplements.
World of Darkness Mind’s Eye Theatre:
You can use any of the four published editions of the Mind’s Eye Theatre rules for Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Ascension, Wraith: The Oblivion, Changeling: The Dreaming and any of their related sub-brands and that are already available for content creation using the Storyteller System.
World of Darkness Settings and timelines:
- You can create content for the Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and Mage: The Ascension modern settings, Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom, Kindred of the East (including Hengeyokai), Vampire: The Dark Ages, Werewolf: The Dark Ages, Mage: The Dark Ages, Vampire: The Victorian Age, Werewolf: The Wild West and Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade historical settings. At this time, you cannot create for any other White Wolf product not listed above.
- Modern World of Darkness is considered any time period post Victorian Age to present day. Also, any time period not explicitly covered with their own fully defined historical setting (Dark Ages, Victorian Age, Wild West; etc) is considered part of the core game line by default. When historical settings/time periods overlap each other such as the Dark Ages/Renaissance you may use whichever setting is most applicable to your needs.
- The Dark Ages is considered any time from the 5th to the 15th century AD.
- The Renaissance/Sorcerers Crusade is considered any time from the 14th to 17th century AD.
- The Victorian Age/Wild West is considered any time from 1830 to 1901.
- The Great War is considered any time from 1914 to 1918.
- You can use 1st, 2nd, 3rd editions of the Exalted RPG. You may use any subsequent rules or combinations of rules thereof.
- You can release new Shards. While creating new Shards is allowed, content creators are encouraged to write material for Shards of the Exalted Dream that have already been published. Shards content should always include the Shards word or logo on the front as part of the title for any Shards product (Eg: Shards of the Exalted Dream, Shards of the Distant Moon, Shards of the Dragon etc) in addition to the Storytellers Vault logo.
- You can release new historical periods (which everyone generally uses to mean can you release versions of the Shogunate historical era).
- You can release brand-new Exalt types.
- You can release new artifacts/spells/Charms/Martial Arts (which may or may not be heavily inspired by artifacts/spells/Charms from previous editions).
- You can release new locations/setting material.
- You can release fixes for 2E books that covered an area of the setting/game.
- You can release updated to 3E versions of NPC’s from a previous editions once they have already been officially published for 3rd Edition. For Example: Solars would currently be ok, whereas Abyssals would not be.
- Can I publish an Exalted 3E adventure that uses named NPCs from previous editions, and if so may I stat them up to 3E for the purposes of the adventure? Yes, but you should use the Antagonist chapter of the 3E rules. You can not publish new 3E rules that have not yet been updated officially.
- Is it possible to release an Exalted version of a famous magic item from another games, such as an Exalted Deck of Many things, and if not is it release an Exalted pastiche of a famous magic item from another game like an urn full of lots that functions as a Deck of Many Things? NO & YES. You may not infringe or directly reference non-White Wolf IP. You may release things that are *inspired* by non-White Wolf IP as long as they do not directly infringe upon the source of the inspiration.
- Is it possible publish content for or in the theme of the EXXXalted Scroll of Swallowed Darkness April Fool's joke or other adult/"mature" content? YES Mature/Adult content is allowed. However, it is required to be clearly marked as adult in the Storytellers Vault program with the Black Dog Game Factory logo.
Chronicles of Darkness:
- You may use all published editions of Chronicles of Darkness (mortals), Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, Mage: The Awakening, Demon: The Descent, Promethean: The Created, & Mummy: The Curse.
- You may make products for Dark Eras. While creating new Dark Eras is allowed, content creators are encouraged to write material for Dark Eras that have already been published. Dark eras content should always include the Dark Eras logo on the front as part of the title for any Dark Eras product (Eg: Dark Eras: Requiem for Regina, Dark Eras: A Handful of Dust etc) in addition to the Storytellers Vault logo.
- You may make content for Mirrors for Chronicles of Darkness only. Mirrors content should always include the Mirrors logo on the front as part of the title for any Mirrors product (Eg: Mirrors: Infinite Macabre, Mirrors: Bleeding Edge etc) in addition to the Storytellers Vault logo.
- You may make products for any of the mortals/minor-splat based products published to date. Second Sight, Skinchangers, Urban Legends, Tales from the 13th precinct, etc.
Chronicles of Darkness Mind’s Eye Theatre:
You can use the Mind’s Eye Theatre Chronicles of Darkness rules set as found in the CofD: Minds Eye Theatre Core Rulebook, MET: Requiem and MET: Awakening for any Chronicles of Darkness Game line that is available for content creation.
At this time, you cannot publish the following material:
World of Darkness:
- Fictional locations and made up cities in the modern real world are not allowed. (e.g. Gotham City, Sunnydale, Santa Carla, Derry Maine, etc.) Content creators should do their best to set their products in places that are (or were) real. Products involving otherworldly realms or other mystical places have a leeway to describe those in the same manner found in previous White Wolf publications. Historical settings should make an attempt to utilize real locations to the best of their ability with the understanding that discrepancies will take place.
- Supernatural types from Hunter: The Reckoning, Demon: The Fallen, Mummy: The Resurrection. These game lines and characters types might be referenced but not featured.
- All the material should be kept reasonably within theme (including not big historic changes). For example: no post-apocalyptic Vampire, no steampunk Mage, cyberpunk Werewolf etc.
- Update to 3E versions of existing Exalt types, NPC’s, player characters types (Eg: Dragon Kings, Mountain Folk), artifacts/spells/Charms/Martial Arts that have not yet received an official 3E conversion unless it is publically stated by White Wolf or its official licensees that no such 3E version will be forthcoming. Once said thing has officially been released for 3E alternative or custom variant versions may be created for 3rd Edition.
- Release an Exalted conversion for another game, like an Exalted Fiasco set.
Chronicles of Darkness:
- Products based on Changeling: The Lost, Hunter: The Vigil, Giest: The Sin Eaters, Beast: The Primordial.
- Crossovers with other White Wolf properties. Crossover products as described in the CofD/WoD translation guides are not allowed. You may alter and use game rules from one brand to another but you may not create hybrid products that jointly use setting material.
- Copyrighted material that is not White Wolf’s, which also means no crossovers with properties that are not White Wolf’s. For example: no Highlander: The Quickening, Crow: The Risen, etc.
What kind of content can I sell?
At this time, you may sell Storytellers System or Storyteller System inspired World of Darkness, Chronicles of Darkness, and Exalted RPG supplements, MET & Non-MET original larp products, fiction, graphic novels, comics, artwork (illustrations and photography). The best type of content for you to submit is what inspires you the most.
At this time, Storyteller System RPG supplements, MET systems larp supplements, original rules systems RPG’s & larps, fiction, graphic novels, comic books, and artwork (illustration and photography).
No artwork may be used from any White Wolf publications, except those specifically made available here on Storyteller'sVault.com. You may use artwork from the Storytellers Vault’s art selection and public domain artwork. You must have permission to use any artwork. Please read the FAQ further for more information on the use of art and logos in your content.
Content creators are required to have secured any image release rights from any models that may appear in any illustrations or photography.
Logos and Trade Dress
The Storytellers Vault logo must appear on the cover of your work. It needs to be legible when viewed at full size. It should not be the primary logo or title on your cover. It is preferred, (although not mandated) that you not use logos from White Wolf publications on RPG supplements or fiction products. It is preferred that you create new logos for supplemental products and use the appropriate trade dress whenever possible. The Storytellers Vault logo must denote which of the White Wolf game lines the product is for. World of Darkness products have a Storytellers Vault logo with an Ouroboros and Exalted products have a Storytellers Vault logo with a gold star
You are highly encouraged, but not required to use the templates provided by White Wolf when creating your work.
You can find the templates here.
The following text must be placed within the Work, wherever the Work otherwise lists legal and copyright information:
World of Darkness, Vampire: The Masquerade, Vampire: The Dark Ages, Victorian Age: Vampire, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Werewolf: The Wild West, Mage: The Ascension, Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade, Wraith: The Oblivion, Wraith: The Great War, Changeling: The Dreaming, Hunter: The Reckoning, Demon: The Fallen, Mummy: The Resurrection, Orpheus, Exalted, Chronicles of Darkness, Vampire:The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, Mage: The Awakening, Changeling: The Lost, Hunter: The Vigil, Giest: The Sin Eaters, Demon: The Descent, Mummy: The Curse, Beast: The Primordial, Promethean: The Created, White Wolf, Storyteller System™, Storytelling System™, and Storytellers Vault™ and their respective logos, icons and symbols are trademarks or registered trademarks of White Wolf Entertainment AB. All rights reserved.
This work contains material that is copyright of White Wolf Entertainment. Such material is used with permission under the Community Content Agreement for the Storytellers Vault.
©2018 White Wolf Entertainment AB, Västgötagatan 5, SE-118 27 Stockholm, Sweden.
Illegal and Infringing content is not allowed. It is the content creator’s responsibility to ensure that their content does not violate laws, or copyright, trademark, privacy, or other rights.
Content creators who wish to publish extreme material of a decidedly adult nature are required to use the Black Dog label so as to clearly identify this type of content. Content of this nature includes excessive graphic violence, nudity and graphic sexual situations, etc. White Wolf reserves the right to inform content creators that their published material needs to be rebranded under the Black Dog label if necessary. White Wolf reserves the right to ask content creators to remove this imprint label if its usage is not deemed necessary.
Create, don’t copy. White Wolf reserves the right to stop publishing and selling your work if it is deemed to go against the spirit of the Storytellers Vault program. All authors should respectfully use the content originally created by White Wolf or other Storytellers Vault creators. For example, if a Storytellers Vault author releases a series of city By Night supplements all set in the same geographic area, and another author takes those supplements, compiles them, and republishes them as a single collection, without substantive original additions or changes, then we would stop publishing and selling that collected work because it adds no value to the Storytellers Vault community content. This type of behaviour will be dealt with harshly, and risks the infringer being permanently expelled from the Storytellers Vault program.